Thursday, July 23, 2009

A Great Plan

It’s that time of year again, The Mary Kay Convention. Millions of women and a few men from all over the world come together in Dallas to learn how to increase their Mary Kay business. They flood the street of Dallas in their Red Suites and Pink Cars. They are encouraged that the upcoming year is going to better than last year anwhile they learn new makeup tips, talk about the new products and learn new steps in improving their business. I wonder if Mary Kay envisioned her business to grow this big?! I’m quite sure she did. She had a planwhen she was expected to be nothing more than a Woman! You know her story, how she began her business when there was nothing but her and her children. She decided to created a job for herself!

Some of you right now are working or unemployed, trying to figure out what to do next. Start your business or further your career? You may have a business and want to know what steps you need to move forward by increasing sales or your client base, get money for your non-profit or just make more money!!!! I was the same way after two layoffs. I wondered what I was going to do with myself in the middle of my own private recession an unemployment about to run out. Knowing this, I decided to create a job till a job came through. After two layoffs, job interviews and much prayer, nothing happen. After 4 years of trying to start a business while working and looking for work, after the last layoff in 2007, I hired me to work for me until something happen. What happen? I begin to get new clients.

If you are at across road in what you want to do, here are some tips:
1. Don’t quit your job to start a business, plan it out, and take the steps to grow to a level you can hire yourself.
2. Takes some classes in your industry at your community college.
3. You may have to work hard on the week’s ends with your business or in advancing in your career, but if that is the direction you are headed, plan it out with your family, and make sure you have time to rest.
4. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes or even take a loss in some things [not your family and God], but the goal is not to give up. Remain encouraged and focus.
5. Believe in God’s purpose, your business and yourself.
6. Pray a lot. And then praise more!!!!


What are some of the things you are doing to make sure that when you are ready to start out on your own as a business owner, or move forward in your career? I would love to hear from you.

Next month Blog I will begin providing information on party planning! Until next month, stay focus!!!

1 comment:

Jeralan said...

Good article, Teri. As you know, this is exactly where I am. I'm trying to weigh taking a full-time job, a part-time job, applying for unemployment, continue looking for work, go back to school, allow time for writing, and allow time to promote my writing and gift baskets so that I can earn some income.

During the time that I'm weighing all of these things, I'm continuing to work on my craft so to speak--I continue writing, and I continue looking at my gift basket design. I'm getting to know my product well, and discovering what I can do better. I'm considering classes as well. I'm starting to network more and continue to identify my market.