Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Time flies by when you are earning & having fun!

After being laid off work November 2004 from an accounting firm, newly divorce and one child in college and another on just starting high School, there was no clue to what I was going to do with myself.  I honestly didn’t know how things were going to work out, but I knew that I was tired of working for someone who thought my hard work and over time was not quality service for their company. When I walked out the door with no bus fare to get home and no view of what I was going to do, I felt no pain, no sorrow and I wasn't even scared.  I looked up while I waited for a friend to pick me and [who was laid off from the same company], I said Lord, I don’t know what I’m going to do, but I do know Corporate America is not for me.

For two days I sat around at home not praying, not talking just being still and thinking what is it that I want to do? While I was cleaning out a box, I saw a business card I had created for my event planning company I wanted to start when I was married. My X told me it wasn’t going to work and I was crazy for even thinking it. I located the card in December 30, 2004.

Now,  with 7 years under my belt, I love the fact that I’m self employed. I have a small PT job, but the rest of the day I spending working for AnyEvent.
There are a lot of misconceptions people have when you work for yourself, and I wanted to share them with you- at least what I learned (lol) .

  1. “I don’t have to worry about a boss riding your back” –NOT.. Yes you do! You are your boss and you better ride your back or you will be out of business sooner then you think.
  2. “I can come and go as I please”-NOT.. You have to account for the time you are spending out and about. The last thing you want to do is have a day that is unproductive.
  3. “I’m going to be banking”-NOT.. You will not make millions over night.. NOT happening.. It will take time and it will take patience. Rome wasn’t built in a day.
  4. “My phone will be ring off the hook”-NOT… Unless you are out there making something happen and meeting the right people you want to do business with, nobody knows who you are.
  5. “I can sleep late”- NOT.. You heard the saying; the early bird catches the worm. It’s true, when you get in a routine of getting up every day like you are going to a job, you will get the worm and more. Sleep late you miss out on a WHOLE LOT
  6. “No more boring meetings”- NOT… Wantta bet? If you are planning to do business, you will be in a bunch of boring meetings and exciting meeting.. It’s all up to you.
  7. “No more training seminar” –NOT.. You better train and get all the training you need. The more education, the more marketable you become. You may not have the letters behind your name, but you will have the education in your head to look like you do.
  8. “Everything is going to be great”-NOT.. This is the biggest misconception that all small business owners have. Operating your company will take late nights; hard work; and dedication. 
  9. I’m not turning down any clients-NOT…  Not All money is good money”
  10.  “I got this”-NOT.. As business owners we have nothing. Our businesses; our Companies are in the hands of God and He controls all things.

Working for yourself is awesome and can be a pain in the behind, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world (lol). AnyEvent is celebrating 7 years this month, we are not doing it with Millions, we are doing it with joy and love in our hearts.
I don’t turn down advice and I take more chances then I ever thought I would. Some work, some don’t.  I’m no longer afraid of failure. It helps me to do better and be better.   I don’t want AnyEvent to be like it was when I created it, I want us to be fresher and exciting every chance we can. I’m learning business and business is teaching me. All in All, 7 years is good, but 17 years will be better.

Happy Anniversary AnyEvent, February 5, 2005 we open our doors and we are determine to keep them open!

How long have you been in business? What have you learned in your years of service? Have your business grown?  what were / are your misconceptions? 
I would love to hear from you, I so welcome your comments! Until next time.. 
The Business Woman

No comments: