Thursday, May 24, 2012

Reading is Fun and Education is powerful? What on your book shelf?


Reading is Fun and Education is powerful? What on your book shelf?

I love to read. I honestly believe I have about 100 or more books. I have books about business; event planning; I have books about event designs and finances. I have books on leadership and self help as well as books on fashion (lol). I even have about 4 bibles in my collection on 4 different languages. I have a couple of novels not many.

I love to read books by John C. Maxwell, Judy Allen, David Tutera and Preston Bailey. I enjoy books by Charles Stanley, Dr. Tony Evans, his daughter Priscilla Shirer and Michael Gerber the author of the E-Myth.
My purpose for reading is to become excellent in my business as well as with my vendors. I want to stay on top of the latest trends and learn more about my craft in the field of event planning.

From time to time I luck up on a few classes or seminars to attend to make sure I’m on top of things. I meet other event planners and find out who is doing what. Our market is wide because we have so many avenues to capture; I like that because what I’m not doing I can refer to someone else and what they are not doing they can [hopefully] refer to me.

 We can’t ever think that we are so successful or have it going on that we don’t continue to educate ourselves in our industry; leadership or finances as well as spiritual growth. The market is changing and the demands for creativity are getting bigger! Every client wants the latest and every vendor wants to know you know the ins and outs. At one time it was “Who you know” Drop a name and everyone listen, now it’s “show me what you’re working with and how you getting it done”  Get in where you fit in or be left behind” is the new slogan to survive in business. BUT you can’t do it if you don’t know.

Who taught me about AnyEvent? If like most of you, we taught ourselves about our business, heck we created it (lol). We've been both the problem and the solution to our business; it’s a challenge. We've worked and serves clients every day. We know we need more help with sales, time, and most of all more training. We work to a large extent because of how much we care about our business. We also know some of us don't have the tools or skills to get to the next level. If we don’t we must continue to educate ourselves; read more or take a few classes here in there. Our business doors will close and we will be sitting there trying to figure what happen?

As an event planner I attend bridal shows; bridal seminars. I go to cooking classes and network with people who usually don’t do business with me, but that’s okay; I do it to learn and educate myself. That’s my responsibility to me and AnyEvent.  It’s a part of business growth!
Invest in yourself; in your company in your staff.. Get educated; it’s part of becoming more marketable as well as a value to your client.
What books are you reading? What was the last class or seminar you to for your business?  Did it help you learn more about your industry? What training are you lacking to go to the next level? I would love to hear from you! I welcome your comments and views.  


No comments: