Saturday, August 10, 2013

90 days Performance- How do you Rank? be Honest!

 When I worked in corporate America the one thing I didn't look forward to was my quarterly or annual review.  It was like I know I worked hard and now it’s time to be judge! I got good appraisals and semi bad ones; “I know on paper it’s awful, but you are REALLY doing a wonderful job, you just need to do better in bah..bah..bah”. Don’t you just love it???
The hardest thing about working for you is being HONEST with how you do in your business. 

Question: When was the last time you gave yourself a 90 days review? When was the last time you sat down to look at how you rank your performance in business, as an employee, as a customer? I decided to create a review to grade strengths, developments and goals in my company. I have to be honest, there were some areas I fell short. I chose an Employee Performance form I located on Google and sat down with a cup of coffee and had a meeting. The performance allowed me to be ranked in various areas:

·         Strengths:  Identify form the positive impact (show the employee how the strength adds value) and connect the strength to a skill.  
·         Areas for Development:  Think about the one area that if developed would have a positive impact on the employee's future contributions.  Describe what it is you want to have happen.  Describe the specifics (what would it look like).  Describe why developing this performance area is important/how it will add value. 
·         Goals:  Areas for development should be translated into goals that are SMART (Specific, Relevant, Attainable, Relevant, Time-Bound). 
·         Review Previous Goals/Objectives:  Create an area to review past goals and objectives

We operate our business like we expect it to be operated, that doesn't mean we are doing a bad job, it means we are doing something, and something may not always be good.

After taking my "own" performance review[honestly], I put myself on a 90 days’ notice (lol). Don’t get me wrong, I’m actually doing great, but not as great as I would expect my employees to do, and that shocked me. I put myself on notice, and immediately started making changes that my Boss [God] expects of me.  I looked at my strengths, my development, my goals I set for the next 90 days and how it will fall into my purpose.

My strength is my connection with people. Does the connection bring revenue? Am I making any money with the business cards I have on file, am I creating a community of “Liked Minded People” to assure that we all are growing?

My development comes with more education. Am I educating myself to be valuable to my business as well as my clients? And I’m staying on top of the latest trends in the industry? Have I meet with planners, chefs, and other people in the industry to assure I’m familiar with what’s happening in their industry; am I investing in conferences, workshops to meet and support others so that I can not only gain relationship, but form partnerships?

My Goals are my daily W.O.W list, so my goals are where I ranked high (lol).

I can always say I’m doing great and business is good, I can always feel like I’m
accomplishing what needs to get done, but can I rank myself and Honestly say I’m doing all I need to do to guarantee AnyEvent Sports & Entertainment Company, my business is making money and building relationships? 2013, I decide to step back and work "on" my business. I revised; redid and reset my vision. I made a lot of changes, new website, new email address and a few new partnerships.  I am making changes I feel will allow AnyEvent to bring in clients that we wants and do business with as well as those who I can build lasting relationships through support.

The end of the year is a few months away, and my 90 evaluation is in 3 month; will my strengths, developments and goals fall in line with what I set out to accomplish this year; Is it in line with my purpose?  At the end of the year; will I have repeated business from clients; an increase in my client list? Will I had built partnerships with “Liked Mined People”?  I have changed procrastinate to proactive moving forward, no looking back; no longer in the same spot saying the same thing.  I have asked for help making sure I’m improving and meeting the right people to support me and help me, I am helping others by offering help through EPBC-Event Planners Boot Camp, and my annual Women’s Brunch “Verge”.


Eight years ago the doors of AnyEvent open, and it has not been thriving like I was expecting, I made mistakes and I had some successes, I learned from others and I learn from me; the one thing I've learn and value more than anything “If I want to be successful, it’s going to require me to be the best at what I do”. I became a student this year; I talked with a lot of business owners and listen to their advice. I also sat and listen to a lot of dreamers, and I have to admit, some of them are still dreaming. I watch others push forward and others fall. It all was part of my classroom of learning.

 I challenge you to be honest and give yourself a performance review; be honest; see how well you rank in Strengths, Goals and Development. How do you rank what you completed this year, and I challenge you to put yourself on a 90 days performance notice to see if you’re able to do better, and be better.

I welcome your comments to my blog, I would love to read how you graded yourself; and did you make changes. How did the changes help your business?
Please share; I know someone will benefit from your posting. 

Until next time, The Business Woman

No comments: